Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Estrogen Dominance--Is this why I'm Fat?

Many women suffer from estrogen dominance, but very few sufferers know that they have it. Estrogen dominance is a hormonal imbalance in the body caused when estrogen is in a higher proportion to progesterone. Estrogen dominance can be caused by oral contraceptive and would explain why many women gain adipose fat when going on them and don't tend to lose the fat when they go off of contraceptives. Don't think that it's impossible to get just because you're a man or you're not menopausal yet, it can happen to anyone.

Some of the symptoms of estrogen dominance are the following:

-fatigue -weight gain and inability to lose weight -edema and bloating

-hair loss -endometriosis



I have suffered from estrogen dominance and it took my body a long time to reach a point of detox. At the time I didn't know that I was doing my body harm. I went on oral contraceptives, but due to breakthrough bleeding I kept switching brands and going on and off of them. This put on weight because of all the switching my body had to do in order to keep up. I was also eating an enormous amount of soy protein. Soy is a source of phytoestrogens and I was also heating food up in my microwave in plastic containers which is a source of xenoestrogen. Most people aren't aware of the fact that oral contraceptive contain estradiol, a type of estrogen that is bio identical with the human body, but the progesterone in the pill is not. So over a long period of time the estrogen levels will rise and progesterone will fall causing a hormonal imbalance.

My advice if you might be suffering from estrogen dominance is to take vitamin B supplements. vitamin B complex is known to detox the liver and help get rid of excess estrogen. A good and yummy source of all of the B vitamins is nutritional yeast, which can be bought at Whole Foods. Also limit your consumption of estrogenic food which a full list of foods that contain phytoestrogens can be found here: 



Don't heat food in plastic containers, make sure you eat mostly organic veggies if you are eating a mostly raw diet because pesticides are a big culprit of xenoestrogen.

If you have had a thyroid problem or are hypothyroid I would advise to not take oral contraceptives as that could cause even more hormonal issues.

A great site that has more detail on the subject is listed below:


Copyright 2009 by Healthy Hot Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment